Part of: GS Prelims and GS – I – Culture and GS- III – Economy
In news Coffee producing company Tata Coffee is set to buy coffee beans grown by tribal people in Koraput district of Odisha.
- It is likely to give confidence to tribal coffee growers for continuing their beverage plantation.
Major Tribes of Koraput district
- Gadabas belong to the Munda group of tribes
- They speak Gutab and Desia dialect of the Austro-Asiatic language family.
- Extensively practice shifting cultivation and they cultivate a mix variety of millets, pulses and niger.
- Fond of dance and music.
- Famous for their typical Dhemsa dance which is performed by the women wearing saree called Kereng
- Mostly depends on agriculture for their livelihoods.
- Adorn a black bead of necklace worn around the neck.
- Their popular dances include Junia Nach and Chera Chera Nach.
- Parojas are one of the largely populated tribes of this region.
- Their artistic talents find expression in Dhemsa, Dungdunga dances and in laga songs.
- The Sauras are one of the most ancient tribes in Odisha mentioned in Hindu myths and classics, notably the Purans.
- They have the habit of always carrying an axe over their shoulder
- Their primitive occupation of hunting & living on the spoil of chase
- They speak an ancient Mundari dialect of their own called ‘Sora’. It belongs to the Austric family of languages
News Source: TH