NITI Aayog Releases North Eastern Region District SDGIndex and Dashboard 2021–22
Part of: GS Prelims
In news: NITI Aayog and Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (M/DoNER) released the first edition of the North Eastern Region (NER) District SDG Index Report and Dashboard 2021–22 thus achieving the milestone towards localizing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
About the NER District SDG Index& Dashboard
- The index is the first of its kind in the country as it focuses on the North Eastern Region, which is of critical significance to the country’s development trajectory.
- It meaasures the performance of the districts of the eight States of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura on the Sustainable Development Goals and their corresponding targets and ranks the districts based on the same.
- The index is based on NITI Aayog’s SDG India Index –the principal and official tool for monitoring progress on the SDGs at the national and State/ Union Territory levels and shares the common ethos of benchmarking performance and ranking on the SDGs to foster competition among the districts.
- It offers insights into the social, economic, and environmental status of the region and its districts in their march towards achieving the SDGs.
- It is a unique policy tool which has immense potential to measure district level progress, highlight critical gaps, facilitate resource allocation, and will be a handy tool for policy makers in the eight North Eastern States, Ministry of DoNER and other Union Ministries.
Overall Results and Findings
- Out of the 103 districts considered for ranking, 64 districts belonged to the Front Runner category while 39 districts were in the Performer category in the composite score and ranking of districts.
- All districts in Sikkim and Tripura fall in the Front Runner category and there are no districts in the Aspirant or Achiever categories.
- East Sikkim [Score 75.87] ranks first in the region followed by districts Gomati and North Tripura [Score 75.73] in the second position.
News Source: PIB