Operation Greens Scheme
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains GS-II- Government Schemes
In news: Ministry of Food Processing Industries launched Operation Greens scheme in November, 2018 for integrated development of Tomato, Onion and Potato (TOP) value chain.
Operation Greens scheme
- The scheme provides for
- short term intervention by way of providing transportation and storage subsidy @ 50% and
- long-term intervention through value addition projects in identified production clusters with Grant-in-aid @ 35% to 70% of eligible project cost subject to maximum of Rs. 50 crore per project.
- The crop-wise/state-wise specific funds are not earmarked under the scheme as the scheme is demand driven and projects are sanctioned in the identified production clusters on the basis of the applications received from investors against Expression of Interest (EOI) issued from time to time.
- The scheme aims to promote Farmer Producers Organizations (FPOs), Agri-logistics, processing facilities and value addition etc. in identified production clusters.
- 6 projects worth project cost of ₹363.30 Crore, with grant-in-aid of ₹136.82 Cr, targeting 31 FPOs in 6 production clusters are approved so far one each for tomato, onion and potato in Gujarat (3), two for onion in Maharashtra (2) and one for tomato in Andhra Pradesh.
- Objectives Of Operation Greens Scheme
- To enhance value realization of top farmers;
- Reduction in post-harvest losses;
- Price stabilization for producer and consumers and
- Increase in food processing capacities and value addition etc.
- As per budget Announcement 2021-22, expanded operation greens scheme covers 22 perishables including shrimp.