Russia to deliver new stealth frigate in 2023
Part of: GS Prelims and GS- II – International Relations; GS – III – Defence and security
In news The first of two additional Krivak class stealth frigates being built by Russia is expected to be delivered to India in the middle of 2023
- Frigate ships are kind of guard ships.
- In October 2016, India and Russia signed an Inter-Governmental Agreement (IGA) for four Krivak or Talwar class stealth frigates —
- Two to be procured directly from Russia
- Two to be built by Goa Shipyard Ltd. (GSL)
- The frigates were being built to operate both Indian and Russian equipment.
- The Navy currently operates six Krivak class frigates weighing around 4,000 tonnes.
Do you know?
- The Krivak class were a series of frigates and guard ships (patrol boats) built in the Soviet Union primarily for the Soviet Navy since 1970.
- They were designed as a successor to the Riga class.
News source: TH