Part of: GS Prelims and GS- III – Economy
In news Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs launched ‘SonChiraiya’ (A brand and logo)- for marketing of urban Self-Help Group (SHG) products.
- Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY–NULM), under the aegis of MoHUA, has focussed on equipping the urban poor women with adequate skills and opportunities, and to enable them to promote sustainable micro enterprises.
- It mobilises women from urban poor households into SHGs and their federations to create a support system for these women.
- Over 5.7 lakh SHGs have been formed across various States/ UTs with almost 60 lakh members.
- Many of these SHGs are engaged in livelihood activities, producing goods such as handicrafts, textiles, toys, eatables and so on which are sold on leading e-commerce websites.
- Innovative methods of online training for SHGs have been ensured to enable them to smoothly operate on e-portals.
- SonChiraiya initiative (A brand and logo) will certainly prove as a step towards increased visibility and global access for the products made by urban SHG women.
- With this logo, the Ministry expects to link many more such SHG members, with a variety of professionally packaged, hand-crafted ethnic products, reaching the doorsteps of the customers globally