Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III- Security
In News: Indian Navy Task Group is participating in the 4th edition of AUSINDEX by Royal Australian Navy (RAN).
- Commenced in 2015 as a bilateral IN-RAN maritime exercise, AUSINDEX has grown in complexity over the years
- The 3rd edition of the exercise, held in 2019 in the Bay of Bengal, included anti-submarine drills for the first time.
- The exercise will provide an opportunity for both Navies to further bolster inter-operability, gain from best practices and develop a common understanding of procedures for Maritime Security Operations.
- The conduct of this exercise despite COVID restrictions is also a testimony of existing synergy between the participating Navies.
- This exercise is aligned with the ‘2020 Comprehensive Strategic Partnership’ between the two nations and aims to further consolidate shared commitment to regional and global security challenges promoting peace, security and stability in the Indo-Pacific region.
- This edition of AUSINDEX includes complex surface, sub-surface and air operations between ships, submarines, helicopters and Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft of the participating Navies.
- The participating Indian Naval Ships Shivalik and Kadmatt are the latest indigenously designed and built Guided Missile Stealth Frigate and Anti-Submarine Corvette respectively.
News Source: PIB