Azaadi@75: Swachh Survekshan 2022 Launched
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation
In News: Launch of the seventh consecutive edition of Swachh Survekshan (SS), the world’s largest urban cleanliness survey conducted by Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban (SBM-U).
- Designed with ‘People First’ as its driving philosophy, Swachh Survekshan 2022 is curated towards capturing the initiatives of cities for the overall welfare and well-being of frontline sanitation workers.
- Incorporated specific indicators that drive cities to improve working conditions and livelihood opportunities for these frontline soldiers in urban India’s sanitation journey.
About Swachh Survekshan (SS)
- It was Commissioned by the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS) under the Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- It has been a vehicle for creating a Janandolan (people’s movement).
- Districts are ranked based on their performance on key quality and quantitative parameters.
- The weights to different elements of the SSG 2021 are as below:
- Direct Observation of sanitation at public places – 30%
- Citizen’s Feedback – 35%
- Service Level Progress on sanitation related parameters – 35%
News Source: PIB