Baira Siul Power Station
Part of: Prelims and GS – I- Geography
Context: The National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC) Ltd, has indigenously renovated & modernized its 180 MW Baira Siul Power Station and commenced commercial operations.
- The project is in Chamba in Himachal Pradesh.
- The Baira Siul Power Station is NHPC’s first power station which was under commercial operation since 1st April 1982 and had completed its useful life of 35 years.
- The life of Baira Siul Power Station has now been extended by another 25 years.
- NHPC is enterprise of Central Government incorporated with an objective to plan, promote and organise an integrated and efficient development of hydroelectric power in all aspects.
- Established: 1975
- Besides, hydroelectric power the company has expanded its objects to include other sources of energy like Solar, Geothermal, Tidal, Wind etc.
- At present, NHPC is a Mini Ratna Category-I Enterprise of the Central Government with an authorised share capital of Rs. 1,50,000 Million