CoWIN adheres to WHO specifications
Part of: Prelims and GS – III- Science & Tech; GS-II- Health
Context Chairman of the empowered group for COVID-19 vaccine administration has stated that no concern has been expressed by UK government on the certification process of CoWIN.
- Also, Indian COVID-19 vaccination certificate conformed to the World Health Organisation (WHO) specifications.
- Significance: It is an important step forward in to facilitate travel and fully protect the public health of the U.K. and India
What is CoWIN?
- CoWIN (Covid Vaccine Intelligence Work) is the Indian government’s web portal to register for COVID-19 vaccination. It displays slots of COVID-19 vaccine available in the nearby areas and can be booked on the website.
- It is a secure and trustworthy proof that helped people establish when, where and by whom they had been vaccinated.
- In totality, CoWIN is a cloud-based IT solution for planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of Covid-19 vaccination in India.
- This allows the system to monitor the utilisation, wastage, coverage of Covid-19 vaccination at national, state, district and sub-district level.
- CoWIN system tracks on a real time basis the vaccination drive in India.
- The portal also provides vaccination certificates in digital format
- The decision to make CoWIN platform open source and offer it as a digital public good was guided by the approach of ‘One Earth, One Health’.