Part of: Prelims and GS III – Conservation
Context Two new Humboldt penguin chicks, join seven adult Humboldt penguins at Mumbai’s Byculla Zoo.
About Humboldt penguins
- Humboldt penguin is named after the cold ocean current, known as Humboldt current.
- Humboldt Current, also called the Peru Current, is a cold, low-salinity ocean current that flows north along the western coast of South America.
- Habitat: Humboldt penguin is a South American penguin that breeds in coastal Chile and Peru.
- When not raising chicks, these penguins have been known to travel long distances at sea to find food.
- Humboldt penguins can breed at any time of year.
- IUCN status: Vulnerable