Induction of C-295MW in Indian Air Force (IAF)
Part of: GS-Prelims
In News: Ministry of Defence (MoD) signed a contract with M/s Airbus Defence and Space, Spain for acquisition of 56 C-295MW transport aircraft for the Indian Air Force.
A significant step towards modernisation of the transport fleet of the Indian Air Force (IAF) –
- It is a transport aircraft of 5-10 tonne capacity with contemporary technology that will replace the ageing Avro transport aircraft of IAF.
- Capable of operating from semi-prepared strips and has a rear ramp door for quick reaction and para dropping of troops & cargo.
- The aircraft will give a major boost to tactical airlift capability of IAF, especially in the Northern and North-Eastern sector and Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- Will give a boost to aerospace ecosystem in India wherein several MSMEs spread over the country will be involved in manufacturing of parts of the aircraft.
- Offers a unique opportunity for the Indian private sector to enter into technology intensive and highly competitive aviation industry. The program will also involve development of specialised infrastructure in the form of hangars, buildings, aprons and taxiway.
News Source: PIB