Part of: Prelims and GS III – Security; Sci and tech
Context Recently Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) has unveiled a remote-controlled armed robot REX MKII.
About REX MKII
- The army robot is capable of patrolling battle zones, tracking infiltrators, and opening fire on enemy targets.
- It is operated by an electronic tablet and can be equipped with two machine guns, cameras and sensors.
- It shall provide logistical assistance to troops by carrying ammunition supplies, critical medical equipment, water, and food, as well as evacuating injured personnel on stretchers.
- The system can also gather intelligence through a situation-awareness system
- The unmanned vehicle is the latest addition to the world of drone technology, which is rapidly reshaping the modern battlefield.
- These semi-autonomous machines allow armies to protect their soldiers, while critics fear this marks another dangerous step toward robots making life-or-death decisions.