Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II: Government policies
In News: SAUBHAGYA completes four years of successful implementation
- 2.82 crore households have been electrified since the launch of SAUBHAGYA
- A dedicated toll-free helpline in place to identify and provide electricity connections to remaining unelectrified households
About Saubhagya Scheme
- Saubhagya Scheme aims to achieve universal household electrification in all parts of the country.
- The scheme primarily benefits rural areas, which have vast majority of households without power connections.
- The beneficiaries for free electricity connection would be identified using Socio Economic and Caste Census (SECC) 2011 data.
- Expected outcomes –
- Environmental upgradation by substitution of Kerosene for lighting purposes
- Improvement education services
- Better health services
- Enhanced connectivity through radio, television, mobiles, etc.
- Increased economic activities and jobs
- Improved quality of life especially for women
News Source: PIB