GI tag for 177 potential tribal products
Part of: Prelims and GS-II – Policies and Interventions
In News: In addition to marketing 56 GI products, TRIFED is working to get GI tag for the 177 potential products that have been identified from the states under operational areas across the country.
TRIFED’s GI intervention and setting up of Atmanirbhar corner in Indian Missions abroad aims at:
- To safeguard the interests of the original producers as well as that of the product and ensure that the producer avails optimum cost for their premium goods even in the highly competitive market scenario.
- To ensure recognition of indigenous products both in India and global market.
- To revive diminishing art and craft from a Tribal specific geographical location.
Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED)
- A national-level apex organization, came into existence in 1987
- Objective: To provide good price of the ‘Minor Forest Produce (MFP) collected by the tribes of the country.
- It functions under Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Govt. of India.
- TRIFED has its Head Office at New Delhi and has a network of 13 Regional Offices located at various places in the country.
News Source: PIB