India, Iran discuss ways to fight drug trafficking from Afghanistan
Part of: Prelims and GS II – International relations
Context Indian and Iranian officials held a virtual meeting following the largest seizure of heroin at the Mundra port in Gujarat managed by the Adani Ports recently.
- The operation led to the largest drug haul in the history of the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
- Initial reports had indicated that the containers carrying the substance originated from the Iranian port of Bandar Abbas.
- The drug haul also impacted Iran’s trade as the Adani Group declared that containers from Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan will not be handled at the port from November 15.
- Both The countries discussed and examined ways and means of mutual cooperation in fighting drug trafficking which accordingly resulted in some positive outcomes.
- It is for many decades that narcotic drugs production and organised drug trafficking from Afghanistan has posed a major threat to the world.