Palk Bay scheme
Part of: Prelims and GS II – Policies and interventions
Context The Union Government is considering increasing the unit cost of deep-sea fishing vessels under the Palk Bay scheme to make it more attractive to fisherfolk.
- The original unit cost of Rs. 80 lakh was “inadequate” [to meet the requirements of the fisherfolk].
About Palk Bay scheme
- It was Launched by the Prime Minister in July 2017.
- It is being financed by the Union and the State Governments with beneficiary participation.
- It envisages the provision of 2,000 vessels in three years to the fishermen of the State to motivate them to abandon bottom trawling.
What is bottom trawling?
- Bottom trawling, an ecologically destructive practice, involves trawlers dragging weighted nets along the sea-floor, causing great depletion of aquatic resources.