Part of: Prelims and GS – I – Art and Culture
Context Yakshagana Bhagavatha (singer-cum-director) Padyana Ganapathi Bhat passed away recently.
- Yakshagana is a traditional theater of Karnataka.
- It is also performed in Kasaragod district in Kerala.
- It combines dance, music, dialogue, costume, make-up, and stage techniques with a unique style and form.
- It is believed to have evolved from pre-classical music and theatre during the period of the Bhakti movement
- Yakshagana is traditionally presented from dusk to dawn.
- Its stories are drawn from Ramayana, Mahabharata, Bhagavata and other epics from both Hindu and Jain and other ancient Indic traditions.