Chennai-Bengaluru road project
Part of: Prelims and GS-III- Infrastructure
Context The Expert Appraisal Committee of the Environment Ministry has recommended phase-III of the eight-lane expressway between Chennai and Bengaluru for environment clearance.
- Implemented by: National Highways Authority of India (NHAI).
- It passes through Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh and Vellore, Ranipet, Kancheepuram and Tiruvallur districts of Tamil Nadu.
- Objective: The project is meant to improve connectivity between Bengaluru and Chennai
- It would also act as a link between the major commercial and industrial centres of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu
- One animal underpass has also been proposed on the Forest Department’s recommendation
About Expert Appraisal Committee (EAC) of the Environment Ministry
- The EACs’ primary role in the environmental clearance (EC) process is to give recommendations to the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) on project proposals after considering the potential impacts of the project.
- Based on these recommendations, the MoEFCC either rejects the proposal or grants a clearance with conditions which would mitigate the impacts or compensate for the same.