Development Projects for Civil aviation
Part of: Prelims and Main GS-III: Infrastructure – Aviation
- Taken up developmental projects worth around Rs. 25,000 crores over the next five years for expansion and modification of existing terminals, new terminals, expansion or strengthening of existing runways, aprons, air navigation services, control towers, technical blocks etc.
- Three Public Private Partnership (PPP) airports at Delhi, Hyderabad and Bengaluru
- Around Rs. 36,000 Crores have been planned for investment in the development of new greenfield airports across the country under PPP mode.
- GoI has accorded ‘in-principle’ approval for setting up of 21 greenfield airports across the country. So far, eight greenfield airports namely, Shirdi in Maharashtra, Durgapur in West Bengal, Pakyong in Sikkim, Kannur in Kerala, Orvakal in Andhra Pradesh, Kalaburagi in Karnataka, Sindhudurg in Maharashtra and Kushinagar in Uttar Pradesh have been operationalized.
- Under Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS), also known as the Ude Desh ka Aam Nagrik (UDAN) Scheme, 393 routes have commenced connecting 62 unserved and underserved airports, including 2 water aerodromes and 6 heliports.
News Source: PIB