Part of: Prelims and Mains GS-II- Governance
In News: More than 4 crore unorganized workers have been registered at e-Shram Portal, India’s first national database on unorganized workers.
- Highest number of registrations: Odisha, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Madhya Pradesh
- Largest number of workers register from agriculture and construction sector
- Registration at E-shram will facilitate unorganized workers to get the benefits of various social security and employment-based schemes
- 4.09 crore workers have registered on the portal. Of these around 50.02% beneficiaries are female and 49.98% are male.
- It is a portal through which the government aims to register 38 crore unorganised workers, such as construction labourers, migrant workforce, street vendors and domestic workers, among others.
- The workers will be issued an e-Shram card containing a 12-digit unique number, which, going ahead, will help in including them in social security schemes.
Significance of e-Shram portal – National Database on Unorganized Workers (NDUW)
- Targeted identification of the unorganized workers was a much-needed step and the portal which will be the national database of our nation builders will help take welfare schemes to their doorstep, who are the builders of our Nation.
- Targeted delivery and last mile delivery, has been a major focus of the schemes of government of India and the National Database of Unorganised workers (E-Shram portal) is another key step towards that.
News Source: PIB