Part of: Prelims and Mains GS-II- Governance
In News: eSanjeevani, India’s leading telemedicine service, under the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, clocked 1.4 crore consultations.
Operating in two variants i.e., eSanjeevaniAB-HWC and eSanjeevaniOPD, this initiative has over the time gained immense popularity in being able to deliver healthcare services through digital platforms.
eSanjeevani AB-HWC, a Doctor-to-Doctor teleconsultation system
- Launched with an intent to alleviate the Urban-Rural divide in terms of health services
- Works on Hub-and-Spoke Model
- The ‘Ayushman Bharat-Health and Wellness Centres’ (HWCs) set up at State Level, act as Spokes, which are mapped with the HUB (comprising MBBS/ Specialty/Super-Specialty doctors) at Zonal level. This enables a patient residing in rural areas to avail quality health services.
- Launched in 2021
- Aims to provide safe Doctor-to-Patient consultations
- Has continued to grow in demand as it allows citizens to consult doctors from the comfort and in the confines of their homes, bypassing wait time, travel, risks of infection etc.
- Addressing the shortage of doctors and specialists at the ground levels
- Reducing the burden on secondary and tertiary level hospitals
- Aims to constantly improve the digital health infrastructure of the country
News Source: PIB