Gopal Ratna Award
Part of: Main GS-III: Agriculture, Dairy
In News: The Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Government of India, is organizing National Gopal Ratna Awards to commemorate the birth centenary of Dr. Varghese Kurien (Milk Man of India), which is celebrated as National Milk Day, on November 26, 2021.
Indigenous bovine breeds of India are robust and possess the genetic potential to play crucial role in the national economy. In the absence of a specific programme on development and conservation of indigenous breeds, their population has been declining and their performance is below the potential at present.
- The objective of the programme is genetic up-gradation of Cattle and Buffaloes. To achieve this, Artificial Insemination (A.I.) service needs to be robust.
- There are 302 million bovines in the country as per 20th Livestock census.
- The average productivity is 5 kg per day per animal at present.
- AI technicians have a crucial role in transforming the bovine population from the state of low productivity to optimal productivity.
- Hence, after the Farmers who rear the animals, there is a need to identify the best AI technician striving hard towards 100% AI coverage so as to achieve the country’s flagship programme objective of doubling of farmers’ income.
- Similarly, 1.9 lakh Dairy cooperative societies and Milk producer Companies at village level are growth drivers as it involves about 2 cr dairy farmer as members and act as a rural institution to provide the farmers market access for their produce and help in earning remunerative price.
About Gopal Ratna Award 2021
One of the highest National Awardsin the field of livestock and dairy sector, with an objective to encourage all individuals and Dairy cooperative societies / Milk Producer Company / Dairy farmers Producers Organizations working in this sector, are conferred in three categories, namely,
- Best Dairy Farmer Rearing Indigenous Cattle/buffalo Breeds,
- Best Artificial Insemination Technician (AIT) and
- Best Dairy Cooperative/ Milk Producer Company/ Dairy Farmer Producer Organization).
News Source: PIB