Part of: GS Prelims
Navigation with Indian Constellation (NAVIC) is India’s indigenous global navigation satellite system.
- NAVIC consists of a constellation of three geostationary, four geosynchronous and two on-standby satellites.
- NAVIC will facilitate accurate real-time positioning and timing services over India and the region around it extending to 1,500 km.
Applications of NAVIC
- Terrestrial, aerial and marine navigation
- Disaster management
- Vehicle tracking and fleet management
- Integration with mobile phones
- Precise timing, mapping and geodetic data capture
- Terrestrial navigation aid for hikers and travelers
- Visual and voice navigation for drivers
News Source: PIB