Part of: Prelims
Context: The President of India presented the Padma awards for the year 2020 -2021.
- For the year 2020, the list comprises seven Padma Vibhushans, 10 Padma Bhushans and 102 Padma Shri awards.
- The Padma Awards are one of the highest civilian honours of India announced annually on the eve of Republic Day.
- The Awards are given in three categories:
- Padma Vibhushan (for exceptional and distinguished service).
- Padma Bhushan (distinguished service of higher order) and
- Padma Shri (distinguished service).
- It was instituted in 1954.
- All persons without distinction of race, occupation, position or sex are eligible for these awards.
- The awards are presented by the President of India
- The Awards are conferred on the recommendations made by the Padma Awards Committee, Which is constituted by the Prime Minister every year.
- The Committee is headed by the Cabinet Secretary and includes Home Secretary, Secretary to the President and four to six eminent persons as members.
- The recommendations of the committee are submitted to the Prime Minister and the President of India for approval.