Smart anti-airfield weapon
Part of: Prelims and GS-III – Defence and security
Context The Defence Research and Development Organisation and the Indian Air Force have jointly carried out two flight tests of the indigenously- developed smart anti-airfield weapon.
- In both the tests, the intended target was hit with high accuracy.
What is DRDO’s smart anti-airfield weapon?
- The DRDO Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon (SAAW) is a long-range precision-guided anti-airfield weapon.
- Developed by: Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- It is designed to be capable of engaging ground targets with high precision up to a range of 100 km.
- In September 2020, the SAAW was approved for procurement by the Indian Government for the Navy and the Air Force.