The Global State of Democracy Report, 2021
Part of: Prelims and GS II – Polity
Context The Global State of Democracy Report, 2021 was released.
- Released by: International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance
Key findings of the report
- The number of countries moving towards authoritarianism in 2020 was higher than that of countries going towards democracy.
- Democratically elected Governments are increasingly adopting authoritarian tactics.
- Brazil and India were highlighted as “some of the most worrying examples of backsliding”.
- India remained in the category of a mid-level performing democracy.
- The pandemic has thus had a particularly damaging effect on non-democratic countries.