Part of: Prelims and GS-II – Policies and interventions
Context The Tamil Nadu Government has filed an appeal in the Supreme Court, challenging the Madras High Court’s November 1 order.
- The order had declared ultra vires (beyond one’s legal power or authority) a law of TN government which provided 10.5% internal reservation for Vanniyars within the overall 20% quota for the Most Backward Classes (MBCs) in government jobs and higher education.
- The recommendation for 10.5% reservation to the Vanniyakula Kshatriya was made in commensurate with their population as enumerated in a survey held in 1983 by the Tamil Nadu Second Backward Classes Commission.
What is Vanniyar Movement?
- Vanniyars are one of the largest and most consolidated backward communities in Tamil Nadu.
- They had raised massive protests in the mid-1980s demanding 20% reservation in the state, and 2% in central services.
- During agitation from September 17 to 23, 1987, many protesters were killed.
- Split of OBC quota: In 1989, the OBC quota was split into two: Backward Castes and Most Backward Castes.
- Vanniyars were categorised among the MBCs with 107 other communities, with 20% reservation.
- Three decades later, the state government passed a Bill, and the current government has implemented it with a Government Order ensuring 10.5% reservation for Vanniyars within the 20% MBC quota.