150th Birth Anniversary of Sri Aurobindo
Part of: Prelims and GS-I -History and culture
Context The Prime Minister chaired the first meeting of the High Level Committee (HLC) which has been constituted to commemorate 150th Birth Anniversary of Sri Aurobindo
- The Committee comprises 53 members from various walks of life.
- The Prime Minister said that the two aspects of Sri Aurobindo’s philosophy of ‘Revolution’ and ‘Evolution’, are of key importance and should be emphasized as part of the commemoration.
- The commemoration celebrations of Sri Aurobindo were proposed to launch from Puducherry coinciding with the celebration of National Youth Day.
About Sri Aurobindo
- Sri Aurobindo was an Indian philosopher, yoga guru, maharishi, poet, and Indian nationalist.
- He was also a journalist, editing newspapers such as Bande Mataram.
- He joined the Indian movement for independence from British colonial rule, until 1910 and then became a spiritual reformer.
- At Pondicherry, Sri Aurobindo developed a spiritual practice called Integral Yoga.