Assisted Reproductive Technology (Regulation) Bill, 2020
Part of: Prelims and GS-II- Health
In News: The Lok Sabha passed the Assisted Reproductive Technology (Regulation) Bill, 2020, that proposes the establishment of a national registry and registration authority for all clinics and medical professionals serving in the field.
- The ART bill seeks to set minimum standards and codes of conduct for fertility clinics and egg/sperm banks.
- The bill provides for the “safe and ethical practice of assisted reproductive technology services”, including egg or sperm donation, in-vitro fertilisation (IVF), intrauterine insemination (IUI), and gestational surrogacy.
- The bill also aims to introduce protections for egg donors, gestational surrogates, and children conceived through ART services.
- Offences under the bill include
- Clinics offering sex selection
- Abandoning or exploiting children born through ART
- Selling, buying, or importing of human embryos,
- Exploiting the couple or donors concerned in any form.
- Proposed jail terms for violations range from five to 12 years, and fines from Rs 5 lakh to Rs 25 lakh.