Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation 2.0 (AMRUT 2.0) scheme
Part of: Prelims and Mains GS-II: Government schemes and policies
In News: The Government has launched Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation 2.0 (AMRUT 2.0) scheme.
- AMRUT 2.0 is designed to provide universal coverage of water supply to all households through functional taps in all statutory towns and coverage of sewerage/septage management in 500 AMRUT cities.
- Making the cities ‘water secure’ and thereby enhancing ease of living of citizens is major objective of the Mission.
- AMRUT 2.0 will promote circular economy of water through development of city water balance plan for each city focusing on recycle/reuse of treated sewage, rejuvenation of water bodies and water conservation.
- It will help cities to identify scope for projects focusing on universal coverage of functional water tap connections, water source conservation, rejuvenation of water bodies and wells, recycle/reuse of treated used water, and rainwater harvesting.
- Mission also has a reform agenda on ease of living of citizens through reduction of non-revenue water, recycle of treated used water, rejuvenation of water bodies, augmenting double entry accounting system, urban planning, strengthening urban finance etc.
Other components of AMRUT 2.0 are:
- Pey Jal Survekshan to ascertain equitable distribution of water, reuse of wastewater, mapping of water bodies and promote healthy competition among the cities /towns.
- Technology Sub-Mission for water to leverage latest global technologies in the field of water.
- Information, Education and Communication (IEC) campaign to spread awareness among masses about conservation of water.
News Source: PIB