Cabinet approves Ken-Betwa Interlinking of Rivers Project
Part of: Prelims and Mains GS-II: Government schemes and policies
The project will pave the way for more interlinking of river projects in India and also showcase to the world our ingenuity and vision.
- This project involves transfer of water from the Ken to the Betwa River through the construction of Daudhan Dam and a canal linking the two rivers, the Lower Orr Project, Kotha Barrage -and Bina Complex Multipurpose Project.
- The project will provide an annual irrigation of 10.62 lakh ha, drinking water supply to a population of about 62 lakhs and also generate 103 MW of hydropower and 27 MW solar power.
- The Project is proposed to be implemented in 8 years with state of the art technology.
- The Project will be of immense benefit to the water starved Bundelkhand region, spread across the states of MP and UP.
- Expected to boost socio-economic prosperity in the backward Bundelkhand region on account of increased agricultural activities and employment generation. It would also help in arresting distress migration from this region.
- This project also comprehensively provides for environment management and safeguards. For this purpose a comprehensive landscape management plan is under finalization by Wildlife Institute of India.
News Source: PIB