National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education And Research (Amendment) Bill , 2021
Part of: Prelims and GS-II -Education
Context The Parliament has passed the National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (Amendment) Bill, 2021.
- The Bill seeks to amend the original act of 1998 to declare six additional National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPERs) as Institutions of National Importance.
- These institutes are located in Ahmedabad, Hajipur, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Guwahati and Raebareli.
- The Bill also provides for a Council to coordinate the activities among the institutes to ensure development of pharmaceutical education and research.
- The NIPERs are for strengthening and enhancing research in the Pharma sector, in the country.
What is the Meaning of the Institute of National Importance?
- The Central Government grants the status of ‘Institute of National Importance’ to premier higher educational institutions in India through an act of the Parliament.
- Such an institute “serves as a pivotal player in developing highly skilled personnel within the specified region of the country/state”.
- Such institutes get special funding and recognition from the Government of India.
- It is observed that generally, such INIs operate outside the University Grants Commission’s ambit and enjoy certain advantages related to taxes.
- Ministry: Ministry of Education
- Some of the benefits that INIs enjoy are listed below:
- Functional autonomy
- Increased funding.
- Better quality of education.
- Faster decision-making capabilities.
- Minimal interference from the political executive.