Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY)
Part of: Prelims and Mains GS-III: Agriculture, Fisheries
Context: Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana scheme was launched to bring about Blue Revolution through sustainable and responsible development of fisheries sector in India was recently launched. The PMMSY is an umbrella scheme with two separate Components: (a) Central Sector Scheme (CS) and (b) Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS).
- Total estimated investment will be of Rs. 20,050 crores to be implemented over a period of 5 years from FY 2020-21 to FY 2024-25.
- Goal: To double the fish exports in the next 3 to 4 years i.e. by 2024-25.
- (1) To address critical gaps in fish production and productivity; quality, technology, post-harvest infrastructure and management, modernisation and strengthening of value chain, traceability, establishing a robust fisheries management framework and fishers’ welfare;
- (2) Harnessing of fisheries potential in a sustainable, responsible, inclusive and equitable manner;
- (3) enhancing contribution to Agriculture GVA and exports;
- (4) Social, physical and economic security for fishers and fish farmers;
- (5) Robust fisheries management and regulatory framework
News Source: PIB