Public Distribution System (PDS) and E-Governance in Panchayati Raj Institutions
Part of: Prelims and Mains –II: Government schemes and policies
Under End-to-End computerization of Targeted PDS: To improve the efficiency & transparency of the distribution of food grains system and to address other challenges, such as leakages and diversion of food grains, elimination of fake and bogus ration cards etc.
- ration cards/beneficiaries database have been completely digitized in all States/UTs,
- transparency portal and online grievance redressal facilities/toll-free numbers have been implemented
- online allocation has been implemented
- Supply chain has been computerized in 31 States/UTs.
- Automation of Fair Price Shops (FPS) is also being done by installing electronic Point of Sale (ePoS) devices at the FPSs for the distribution of food grains in a transparent manner (electronically) and for unique identification of genuine beneficiaries through biometric/Aadhaar authentication on the ePoS device.
Under Digital India Programme
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj is implementing e-Panchayat Mission Mode Project, in the country to revamp the functioning of Panchayats and to make them more transparent, accountable and effective.
- Ministry launched eGramSwaraj a simplified work-based Accounting application to address various aspects of Panchayat functioning viz. planning, accounting, budgeting.
- Further, Ministry has also integrated e-Gram SWARAJ with Public Financial Management System for Gram Panchayats to make real time payments to vendors/service providers.
According to the seventh schedule, local government is a State subject.
- Article 243 of Part IX of the Constitution, which contains provisions dealing with Panchayat, does not differentiate amongst persons on the basis of their sex.
- Under Article 243D of the constitution, provisions have been made for reservation of Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Women. Legislatures of States have also been empowered to make provision for reservation of seats in any Panchayat or offices of Chairpersons in the Panchayats at any level in favour of backward class of citizens in terms of clause (6) of Article 243D of the constitution.
- Transgenders belonging to these categories are accordingly eligible to participate in the decision-making process of Panchayats.
News Source: PIB