S-400 Triumf Missile System
Part of: Prelims and Mains GS-III – Defence and security
In News: A contract has been signed for delivery of S-400 system from Russia.
- The S-400 Missile is a potent system in terms of its operational capability to provide continuous and effective air defence system to a very large area.
- With the induction of this system, air defence capability of the nation will be significantly enhanced.
- The system is also known as the ‘Triumf’ interceptor-based missile system.
- This risks the possibility of sanctions from the U.S. under the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) which would come up for discussion at the India-U.S. 2+2 ministerial dialogue, also scheduled for early December.
What is CAATSA?
- Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanctions Act (CAATSA)‘s core objective is to counter Iran, Russia and North Korea through punitive measures.
- Enacted in 2017.
- Includes sanctions against countries that engage in significant transactions with Russia’s defence and intelligence sectors.
What are S-400 Triumf anti-aircraft missile systems?
- The S-400 Triumf is a mobile, surface-to-air missile system (SAM) designed by Russia.
- It can simultaneously track numerous incoming objects — all kinds of aircraft, missiles and UAVs — in a radius of 400km and launch appropriate missiles to neutralise them.
- It is the most dangerous operationally deployed modern long-range SAM (MLR SAM) in the world, considered much ahead of the US-developed Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system (THAAD).
News Source: PIB