(Sansad TV: News & Current Affairs)
Dec 25: PM Modi pays tributes to former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee on his birth anniversary on 25 Dec,2021
- GS-1: Modern Indian History and important personalities
Atal Bihari Vajpayee, the first Prime Minister in the non-Congress era to complete his full term, is a visionary, one of India’s most celebrated statesman, an outstanding orator and a staunch Nationalist.
The tenure of this three-time Prime Minister of India took India towards the road for multi-dimensional development. From giving a major boost to the Infrastructure of India, to making India nuclear capable, improving India’s foreign relations, strengthening internal security of India to a serious attempt to solve the Kashmir problem- India has achieved a lot during his era.
- Prime Minister thrice: 1996, 1998-1999 and 1999-2004
- Awarded India’s highest civilian honor Bharat Ratna in 2015
- His birthday, December 25, is observed as the Good Governance Day
- Awarded Padma Vibhushan in 1992
- His reign lead to advent of Multi-party rule in India.
- A Coalition Government completing the complete tenure was new experiment in India’s democratic history.
- Schedule 10 related to Anti Defection law was strengthened.
- GDP growth remained high of about 6-7%.
- The speed of FDIs took off to great extent.
- The Fiscal Responsibility Act was introduced during his tenure, which aimed to reduce fiscal deficit.
- The public sector savings were boosted to a great extent.
- The involvement of Governments involvement in starting a private business was reduced in India.
- Separate entities were established for disinvestment.
- He initiated Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana.
- Laid the foundation of “The Golden Quadrilateral” project.
- Sanction of “Delhi Metro Rail Corporation”.
- Introduced the New Telecom Policy, which later lead to Telecom Revolution in India.
- He effectively lead India through the Kargil War.
- Carried out Nuclear Tests in Pokhran, which lead to India being a responsible Nuclear power.
- India’s deterrence increased to a great extent.
- He looked positively at the Kashmir issue.
- The Sensitivities with respect to Kashmir were increased.
- He gave the slogan of “Insaniyat, Kashmiriyat and Jamuriyat”.
- He was considered to be a Peace Maker, he even started Bus Service to Lahore.
- He was known for his Pragmatism.
- He took India out from the Hesitations of History.
- He shifted India’s focus from Russia to United States of America.
- He strengthened India’s relations with Israel, by calling it India’s natural ally.
- He strengthened good relations with all the states.
- Being a Statesman, he had good relations with all the state governments.
- He taught Indians the way of looking above politics of the day and have a common Nationalistic agenda.
- He said that government were just part of the process of evolution and development of India.
Note: World’s longest Highway tunnel – Atal Tunnel
- Location: Himachal Pradesh and Ladakh
- Constructed by: Border Roads Organisation (BRO)
- The 9.02 Km long tunnel connects Manali to Lahaul-Spiti valley throughout the year.
- Earlier the valley was cut off for about 6 months each year owing to heavy snowfall.
- The tunnel reduces the road distance by 46 Kms between Manali and Leh and the time by about 4 to 5 hours.
- It will provide all weather connectivity to remote border areas of Himachal Pradesh and Ladakh.
- It would also reduce the distance between Manali and Keylong by 3-4 hours.
- Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee laid the foundation of the approach road for this tunnel in 2002.