Year End Review: Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment
Part of: Prelims
Nasha Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan (NMBA)
- Annual anti-drug action plan (2020-21) would focus on 272 most affected districts and launch a three-pronged attack combining efforts of Narcotics Bureau, Outreach/Awareness by Social Justice and Treatment through the Health Dept.
- It will focus on institutional support and also on community outreach programmes in the districts identified by Narcotics Control Bureau.
- Change in the strategy against drugs – from institutional level to level of society. It will launch campaigns in schools and colleges to prevent drug abuse among youth.
- Till now through the various activities undertaken for the Abhiyaan, 1.4+ Crore people have been reached out so far in the identified districts
SMILE-Support for Marginalized Individuals for Livlihood and Enterprise
- The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has formulated an umbrella scheme SMILE, which includes two sub-schemes – ‘Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation for Welfare of Transgender Persons’ and ‘Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation of persons engaged in the act of Begging’.
- This umbrella scheme covers several comprehensive measures including welfare measures for both transgender persons and persons who are engaged in the act of begging with focus extensively on rehabilitation, provision of medical facilities, counselling, education, skill development, economic linkages etc with the support of State Governments/UTs/Local Urban Bodies, Voluntary Organizations, Community Based Organizations (CBOs) and institutions and others.
Swachhta Udyami Yojna (SUY)
- Launched on the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on 2nd October 2014 with twin objectives of cleanliness and providing livelihood to Safai Karamcharis and liberated Manual Scavengers and their dependents.
- NSKFDC provides financial assistance to its target group for procurement of operation of mechanised sanitation related equipments and vehicles.
Pradhan Mantri Dakshta Aur Kushalta Sampann Hitgrahi (PM-DAKSH) Yojana
- In 2020-21, Department modified the existing Scheme of Assistance to skilling for OBCs/EBCs/DNTs with inclusion of SCs and Safai Karamcharis including Waste Pickers and renamed it as PM DAKSH Yojana, a Central Sector Scheme.
- The objective is to provide high quality skills through good quality institutions and reputed Training institutes/partners (TIs/TPs) so as to ensure higher employability for the target group.
- Apart from this, rural artisans who have become marginalized owing to newer technologies in market, would be trained so as to adopt newer processes and increase their incomes.
- With a target to skill around 2,71,000 SCs/OBCs/EBCs/DNT/Safai Karamcharis including Waste Pickers during next five years (2021-22 to 2025-26)
For the Elderly
- Elderline – 14567 – The Helpline provides a platform to the senior citizens for grievance redressal. The Helpline also contributes in the field of awareness generation in respect of the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens (MWPSC) Act, 2007, and the Schemes of the Central Government meant for welfare of senior citizens.
- Senior Able Citizens for Re-Employment in Dignity (SACRED)- launched to provide employment to willing senior citizens by virtually matching their preferences with preferences of companies ready to engage such senior citizens.
- SAGE portal: A scheme for promoting Silver Economy in the country was launched under Atal Vayo Abhuday Yojana, which aims at assisting start-ups in the field of elderly welfare (silver economy) by the Government of India. These start-ups are to be assisted by way of equity participation of GOI subject to a maximum of 49% equity, and subject to a maximum Rs. 1 crore, per start up.
Scheme for Economic Empowerment of De-notified, Nomadic and Semi-Nomadic Communities (SEED)
- To provide coaching of good quality for DNT candidates to enable them to appear in competitive examinations
- To provide Health Insurance to them
- To facilitate livelihood initiative at community level
- To provide financial assistance for construction of houses for members of these communities
News Source: PIB