Automatic Generation Control (AGC)
Part of: Prelims and GS-III Economy
Context: Union Minister of Power dedicated Automatic Generation Control (AGC) to the nation.
- This is expected to facilitate achieving the government’s ambitious target of 500 GW non-fossil fuel-based generation capacity by 2030.
- The AGC is being operated by Power System Operation Corporation (POSOCO) through National Load Despatch Centre.
- Through AGC, NLDC (National Load Despatch Centre) sends signals to more than 50 power plants in the country every 4 seconds to maintain the frequency and reliability of the Indian Power System.
- This will ensure more efficient and automatic frequency control for handling variable and intermittent renewable generation.
- Shri R.K. Singh also released a report titled “Assessment of Inertia in Indian Power System” which has been prepared by POSOCO in collaboration with IIT Bombay.
Power System Operation Corporation (POSOCO)
- It comes under Ministry of Power as one of the Power PSUs after separating from POWERGRID as its subsidiary organization.
- It is responsible to ensure the integrated operation of the Grid in a reliable, efficient, and secure manner.
- It consists of 5 Regional Load Despatch Centres (RLDCs) and the National Load Despatch Centre (NLDC).