Baricitinib and Sotrovimab drugs recommended by WHO
Part of: Prelims and GS-II Health and GS-III Sci and tech
Context The World Health Organization (WHO) has recommended two drugs, baricitinib and sotrovimab, for treatment of Covid-19.
- Baricitinib is also used to treat rheumatoid arthritis.
- It is an oral drug
- It has now been “strongly recommended” for patients with severe or critical Covid-19 in combination with corticosteroids.
- It is part of a class of drugs called Janus kinase (JAK) inhibitors that suppress the overstimulation of the immune system.
- It is an investigational monoclonal antibody for use in treating conditions caused by coronavirus.
- The WHO has conditionally recommended its use for treating mild or moderate Covid-19 in patients who are at high risk of hospitalisation.
News Source: IE
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…