Part of: Prelims and GS-III -Economy
- Context The GST Council has decided to temporarily roll back the increase in tax rate for the textiles sector
- The move follows demands from several States, including Gujarat, West Bengal and Tamil Nadu.
- A similar demand for footwear was not considered and the sector will attract GST of 12% from January
About GST Council
- The GST Council is a constitutional body established under Article 279A of Indian Constitution
- It makes recommendations to the Union and State Government on issues related to Goods and Service Tax (GST).
- The GST Council is chaired by the Union Finance Minister.
- Its other members are the Union State Minister of Revenue or Finance and Ministers in-charge of Finance or Taxation of all the States.