Inauguration of Social Housing Units Project in Mauritius
Part of: Mains GS-2: India and its neighborhood
In News: Prime Ministers of the respective countries jointly inaugurated the Social Housing Units Project in Mauritius.
- Implemented as part of the vibrant development partnership between India and Mauritius.
- The two Prime Ministers also laid foundation for two other projects, undertaken as part of India’s development support –
- Construction of a state-of-the-art Civil Service College
- 8 MW Solar PV Farm
- Included exchange of two key bilateral agreements:
- Agreement for the extension of USD 190 million Line of Credit from the Government of India to the Government of Mauritius for the Metro Express and other infrastructure projects
- MoU on the Implementation of Small Development Projects
Relations between India and Mauritius
Despite the challenges posed by Covid-19, India-Mauritius Development Partnership projects have progressed rapidly.
India and Mauritius share close ties anchored in our common history, ancestry, culture and language. This is reflected in the privileged development partnership between our two countries, with Mauritius being a key development partner for India in the Indian Ocean Region.
- India in May 2016 had extended a grant of US$ 353 mn to the Government of Mauritius as Special Economic Package (SEP) to execute five priority projects identified by Government of Mauritius, among others.
- These were: the Metro Express Project, Supreme Court Building, New ENT Hospital, Supply of Digital Tablets to Primary School Children, and the Social Housing Project.
- With the inauguration of the Social Housing Project, all the high profile projects under the SEP have been implemented.
News Source: PIB