India’s passport rank improves to 83 from 90
Part of: Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
Context: India’s passport power has improved this quarter compared to 2021.
- Japan and Singapore top the index.
- India ranks at 83rd position in the Henley Passport Index, climbing seven places from 90th rank last year.
Do you know?
- Since 2005, Henley Passport Index ranks world’s passports according to the number of destinations their holders can access without prior visa and is based on data from International Air Transport Association (IATA).
- India now has visa-free access to 60 destinations worldwide with Oman and Armenia being the latest additions.
- India has added 35 more destinations since 2006.
- The overall increase marks a growing disparity between countries in the global north and those in the global south.
News Source: The Hindu