Release of 10th instalment of PM-KISAN
Part of: Prelims and Mains GS-III: Agriculture
In News: In line with the continued commitment and resolve to empower grassroot level farmers, the government released 10th installment of financial benefit under Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) scheme
- Enabled the transfer of an amount of more than Rs. 20,000 crore to more than 10 crore beneficiary farmer families
- Released equity grant of more than Rs. 14 crore to about 351 Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs), which will benefit more than 1.24 lakh farmers. (Five benefits of FPOs for small farmers. These benefits are increased bargaining power, scale, innovation, risk management and adaptability to the market conditions)
Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN): To provide income support to all farmers’ families across the country, to enable them to take care of expenses related to agriculture and allied activities as well as domestic needs
Milestones that were achieved in the agriculture sector in the recent years-
- Food grain production touched 300 million tonnes
- Horticulture and floriculture production reached 330 million tonnes
- Milk production also increased almost 45 per cent in last 6-7 years.
- About 60 lakh hectare land was brought under micro irrigation; more than 1 lakh crore were given in compensation under Prime Minister FasalBimaYojna, whereas premium received was just 21 thousand crores.
- Ethanol production increased from 40 crore litres to 340 crore litres in just seven years.
News Source: PIB