Part of: Prelims and GS-III Conservation
Context: Tiger census will commence at Bandipur and at Nagarahole as part of the All-India Tiger and Mega Herbivore Estimation.
- This is part of the nation-wide enumeration that is held once in four years and is the fifth such exercise being taken up — the earlier ones being held in 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018.
Do you know?
- Nagarahole Tiger Reserve is located in Kodagu district and Mysore district in Karnataka.
- Bandipur National Park is located in Chamarajnagar district, Karnataka
- It was established as a tiger reserve under Project Tiger in 1973. It is part of the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve since 1986.
- This year’s enumeration exercise entails the use of MSTRIPES (Monitoring System for Tigers Intensive Protection and Ecological Status) app.
- Apart from the tiger counts, the exercise will also throw up data on mega herbivores, including elephants and gaurs.
- The use of apps ensures that the data is not only digitised but is uploaded on a real-time basis and is robust.
News Source: TH