Government approves ‘ New India Literacy Programme
Part of: Prelims
In News: Government approved a new scheme “New India Literacy Programme for the period FYs 2022-2027 to cover all the aspects of Adult Education to align with National Education Policy 2020 and Budget Announcements 2021-22.
- The National Education Policy 2020 has recommendations for Adult Education and Lifelong Learning.
- Term “Adult Education” to be replaced with “Education For All”
Objectives of the scheme is to impart not only foundational literacy and numeracy but also to cover other components which are necessary for a citizen of 21st century such as
- Critical life skills (including financial literacy, digital literacy, commercial skills, health care and awareness, child care and education, and family welfare)
- Vocational skills development (with a view towards obtaining local employment)
- Basic education (including preparatory, middle, and secondary stage equivalency)
- Continuing education (including engaging holistic adult education courses in arts, sciences, technology, culture, sports, and recreation, as well as other topics of interest or use to local learners, such as more advanced material on critical life skills).
News Source: PIB