Integration of E-MANDIS into E-NAM Platform
Part of: Prelims and GS-III Economy
Context: Since 31st March 2018, 415 new mandis have been integrated on National Agriculture Market (e-NAM) platform.
- As per the Union Budget Announcement 2020-21, additional 1000 mandis to be integrated with e-NAM platform
About National Agriculture Market (e-NAM) platform
- e-NAM was launched in 2016 as a pan-India electronic agricultural marketing/trade portal linking APMCs across the States.
- It is managed by Small Farmers’ Agribusiness Consortium (SFAC).
- Controlling Ministry: Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare
- e-NAM provides for contactless remote bidding and mobile-based any time payment for which traders do not need to either visit mandis or banks for the same.
- Objective of integrating the existing Mandis to “One Nation One Market” for agricultural commodities in India.
- It networks the existing APMC mandis to create a unified national market for agricultural commodities and has a vision:
- To promote uniformity in agriculture marketing by streamlining procedures across the integrated markets.
- Removing information asymmetry between buyers and sellers and promoting real time price discovery based on actual demand and supply.
News Source: PIB