PLI Scheme for Promotion of Domestic Manufacturing of Critical KSMS/Drug Intermediates and APIs
Part of: Prelims and Mains GS-3: Economy
In News: 49 projects approved for 33 critical APIs with an investment of ₹ 3,685 crore under PLI scheme of Bulk Drugs
- Objective: To attain self-reliance in the sector of identified critical drugs
- The scheme has been launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals for promotion of domestic manufacturing of KSMs/APIs.
- This will be achieved by setting up greenfield plants with minimum domestic value addition
Do you know?
- The Indian pharmaceutical industry is the 3rd largest in the world by volume.
- However, India is significantly dependent on the import of basic raw materials, viz., Bulk Drugs that are used to produce medicines.
- In some specific bulk drugs, the import dependence is 80 to 100%.
News Source: PIB