Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-III: Indian Economy
By: The Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying
‘Sagar Parikrama’ aims to
- Facilitate interaction with fishermen, coastal communities and stakeholders so as to disseminate information of various fisheries related schemes and programs being implemented by the Government,
- Demonstrating solidarity with all fisher folk, fish farmers and concerned stakeholder’s as a spirit of Aatmanirbhar Bharat
- Promote responsible fisheries with focus on sustainable balance between the utilization of marine fisheries resources for food security of nation and livelihoods of coastal fisher communities
- Protection of marine ecosystems. ‘Sagar Parikrama’ program envisages to cover the maritime States/UTs in a phased manner.
The fishermen, fisher communities and stakeholders in the coastal areas are likely to be benefitted with awareness of various beneficiary oriented schemes and programs being implemented by the Government and showcasing them the best practices that may be adopted.
- Aims to resolve the issues of the fishers and other stakeholders and to facilitate their economic up-liftment through various fisheries schemes and programs being implemented by the Government of India, such as ‘Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana’ (PMMSY) a flagship scheme with highest ever estimated investment of Rs.20,050 crore in fisheries sector
About Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY)
- Launched to bring about Blue Revolution through sustainable and responsible development of fisheries sector in India
- Goal: To double the fish exports in the next 3 to 4 years i.e. by 2024-25.
- To address critical gaps in fish production and productivity; quality, technology, post-harvest infrastructure and management, modernisation and strengthening of value chain, traceability, establishing a robust fisheries management framework and fishers’ welfare
- Harnessing of fisheries potential in a sustainable, responsible, inclusive and equitable manner
- Enhancing contribution to Agriculture GVA and exports
- Social, physical and economic security for fishers and fish farmers;
- Robust fisheries management and regulatory framework
News Source: PIB