Part of: Prelims and GS II – International Relations
Context: Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa will host Prime Minister Narendra Modi and other leaders at the BIMSTEC summit being held in “hybrid mode” from March 28 to 30 2022.
- Myanmar Foreign Minister will also address the group virtually.
- One of the main objectives of this week’s summit would be to launch the ‘BIMSTEC charter’, and hand over the leadership of the forum to Thailand, the next chair.
- The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is a regional multilateral organisation.
- Its members lie in the littoral and adjacent areas of the Bay of Bengal constituting a contiguous regional unity.
- Out of the 7 members, Five are from South Asia –
- Sri Lanka
- Two are from Southeast Asia –
- It mainly aims to create an enabling environment for rapid economic development; accelerate social progress; and promote collaboration on matters of common interest in the region.
News Source: TH