2. What do you understand by the concept of collective accountability in civil services? How does the lack of collective accountability affect governance? explain. (10 Marks)
सिविल सेवाओं में सामूहिक जवाबदेही की अवधारणा से आप क्या समझते हैं? सामूहिक जवाबदेही की कमी शासन को कैसे प्रभावित करती है? समझाएं।
Students are expected to write about or define the collective accountability. Also explain the collective accountability in civil service, how lack of collective accountability will affect the government and governance.
Collective accountability takes an important concept called teamwork into consideration. Most of the times many civil servants cooperate to complete a task. So it is appropriate to hold all of them accountable rather than each individual.
Collective accountability in civil service:
- Collective accountability is the notion that if each individual in a administration can affect the administration’s results, we can attribute the successes and failures of the administration to every civil servants.
- The collective accountability also means that the administration decisions bind all the civil servants even if they differed in the meeting and conference.
- In case of any Individual public servant is not appropriately following code of conduct or indulging in unethical activities being the member of department other members can raise the issue for example whistle blow or resign from the task.
- Holders of public office are collectively accountable for their decisions and actions to the public and must submit themselves collectively to whatever scrutiny is appropriate to their office.
Lack of collective accountability affecting governance:
- Over-Reliance on ‘Command’ Control Model develop bureaucratic inertia which defies doesn’t obey for collective accountability.
- The fundamental issue therefore is to define collective accountability in the context of changing public policy and public management discourse in India.
- Institutional incompetence to hold whole team accountable in any action leads to isolated managerial efforts have and inadequate delivery of results and outcomes.
- The issue of ensuring collective accountability is further more complex as there are no upgraded tools assessing collective performance management which adversely impacts the goal of organization.
With increased decentralization there will be creation of culture of collective accountability. Every civil servants must be fully aware of what they are being held accountable for, what they’re responsible for. In this way we can ensure effective accountability and enhance our human resources in government service.